Horseneck Beach

One of my favorite memories I have with my family is a camping trip to Horseneck Beach. The enter week was fill with family. We were busy all week long with different members of my family coming and going throughout the week. The first day there was my immediate family only. It was a typical summer afternoon. We had to spend most of it getting the campsite ready. We were hot and sweaty. I was so happy when we were all done setting up. Our campsite was right on the beach. I put my bathing suit on and was in the water before my parents were even aware of it. My sisters and I were on bogy boards trying to catch the waves. After that, we played keep away with a water ball. We had so much fun that afternoon. We had hamburgers for dinner that night (of course, on the open fire). After dinner we walked around the campground and walked on the beach. The ocean hitting the beach was so tranquil that I couldn’t believe that I was there. As the night grew darker, the stars came out and all you could see was stars everywhere. I felt like I was in a planetarium except on a way larger scale. I wish the night would never end. It was so peaceful to be there.

The next day, my Grandmother, my cousin Louie, and my Aunt Loreen came to the campground. We spent most of the day in the ocean. At first, my cousin was afraid to go into the ocean. He thought that he might drown. My mom put him on the bogy board and on purpose let the waves go over his head so that he would get used to it. After a while we couldn’t get him out of the water. They wanted hot dogs for supper. My dad was cooking them on the grill when he looked over and saw a seagull came down and stole my grandmother’s hot dog while she was eating it. We sat by the campfire that night and told scary stories.

The following day my Uncle Alan and Aunt Sandra came to the campground. It was so much fun watching Aunt Sandra act like a little kid. She had never been in a camper or played half the board/card games that we did. She kept trying to make up the rules as she went along. After we played games we went to play in the ocean. We were trying to catch the waves. I went out to far and the waves kept going over me. I was starting to drown. My uncle was able to grab me and save my life. My lungs were burning with ocean water because I inhaler so much of it. I felt like I was coughing for hours after that. I learned a lesson that day. Always go in the ocean with someone and do go out to far if the current is swift.

On day four, they rest of my crazy family decided that they should show up. My Aunts Lisa, Donna, Lynn, Uncles David and Peter, and my cousins Marissa and Colin all came. They wanted to do everything. We spent the next several days with them there set up in tents next to our camper. We went hiking and rode our bikes a lot around the campground. We played games that usually include basketball, four square, bean bag toss, and croquet. We are loud and sometimes get very competitive when we play games. Usually someone gets upset about how the game played out but that is how we are. My Aunt Donna is the biggest kid. She also likes to make up the rules as she goes along so that she can win. So much for letting the kids win.

The fifth day that we were there we ran into my Dad’s cousin Barbara and her kids Maddoxx and Miranda. We didn’t even know that they were camping there at the same time. We spent most of the day swimming in the ocean playing Marco polo with all of us. We decided that we should end the day with doing friendship bracelets and having a huge campfire. We made s’mores and played music. After that we went down to the ocean and collected shells. I learned that the ocean made shells transparent and smooth over time on this trip.

On the sixth day it was just my Aunt Lynn and my family. We went hiking up this long path to find a small building and along the way we found coal. I was told by my aunt that back in the old days they used coal to heat homes and that this building could be the remains of a fort that had coal in it. When we got back it was so hot that we jumped into the ocean with our clothes on. We didn’t care if we had our bathing suits on. After that we played board games and went to bed.

The following day we packed up the camper and took down the tents. We were heading home. The trip was such a great memory for me because I got to have my entire family with me and the memories are for all of us to share.